Universal Suffrage Act 2020
The Universal Suffrage Act 2020 is an Act of Parliament in the Kingdom of Kohlandia which grants a number of rights, including but not limited to the ability to stand for elected office and also vote in elections, to Kohlandians as young as fourteen. It is the first Kohlandian legislation to alter the Kohlandian Constitution since the Constitution was adopted.
The full text of the 2020 Act is as follows:
The Universal Suffrage Act 2020
Being that Kohlandia inherited the majority of its views on the right to vote and stand for political office from both the United Kingdom and the views of the Privy Parliament, it currently limits political activity to adults of various ages. Kohlandia is an experimental nation that is always seeking to discover how various aspects of social and political life are affected by laws, and by emerging culture. Kohlandia should therefore embrace this experimental nature and expand the political franchise to all citizens, of any age.
- 1. All references to an age requirement for citizens in Kohlandian Law, outside of any references to the age of consent for sexual activity, are hereby reduced to 14 years old.
- 2. All references to an age requirement for Kohlandian citizens in the Constitution, outside of any references to the age of consent for sexual activity, are hereby reduced to 14 years old.
- 2(a) The age of consent laws, and the ages therein, remain unchanged.
- 3. Political offices no longer have an age restriction.
- 4. Voting in Parliament no longer has an age restriction.
- 5. This Bill, if enacted, shall be known as The Universal Suffrage Act 2020.